70 Major Sins - By Imam Adh-Dhahabi
This a valuable book which is indispensable for every serious seeker of God’s pleasure. It is centred on the text Kitab al-Kaba’ir (The Book of Major Sins), authored by the famous Damascene scholar Imam Dhahabi.
The Major Sins, or the Enormities, are 70 sins that are so serious that they come with a curse or threat of punishment in this world or the next for the one who commits them without repenting (tawba). It behoves every Muslim to know what these Major Sins are in-order to avoid them.
The purpose behind learning the major sins is to use this knowledge to protect oneself and those close to them from those things which bring harm in this life and ultimately, to one’s soul in the next life. Each sin is also tied to saving humanity from sufferings that occur because of them. This is imperative to protect both the individual and society from harm. Protecting oneself and community then leads to justice and goodness in this life and the next.
This course gives a foundational level of Taqwa (God-Consciousness) that is essential for every Muslim, but especially important for anyone embarking on the journey of seeking Islamic knowledge to avoid hypocrisy in one’s state and actions. Each of the major sins is tied to a practical benefit and avoidance of a societal or personal injustice that should be avoided. It starts with safeguarding faith and then enables a society free from killing, exploitation, family discord, corruption, and despondency.
Who is This Course For?
- This course is for every single Muslim, even those who are younger but would like to enter adulthood aware of the major sins to avoid.
- It is particularly beneficial for those who would like to know the wisdom of why certain acts were classified as major sins and why they are harmful to society and one’s soul.
- This course can also be taken by anyone who is interested in Islamic law, or basic spirituality, and Islamic ethics.
- It is a beginner-level course. It should be the prerequisite before any other study is undertaken.
- Understand what the agreed-upon major sins are.
- Understand the wisdom and benefits behind why the major sins are classified as such and the practical benefit in avoiding them.
- Implement the avoidance of the major sins to avoid divine punishment in the Hereafter or worldly crimes related to the major sins.
- Actualize Taqwa (God Consciousness).
- Understand the difference between a major and minor sin, and realize in reality what changes even a minor sin into a major sin, and vice versa.
- Learn the method of true repentance and how to atone for the sins one committed in the past
- Understand how to overcome a sinful past, and work towards a better, happier relationship with one’s Lord, oneself, and fellow creation in the present and in the future